Re: [OM] Sagelight editor

Subject: Re: [OM] Sagelight editor
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 13:35:03 -0600
> Ken, if you Google for "free presets for LR", you will be surprised at
> what you find. As well, the presets that are not free are available, and
> many are singing their praises online. But it might be worth toying with
> a few freebies to see if you can tweak them even further and get that
> "something different" you're looking for.

This is true. I've downloaded a few, but the problem that I'm running into
is that in almost all cases they work better with Canon or Nikon files than
with the Olympus files. And note that I said "or" not "and". The presets
seem to be pretty specific to whatever brand/model of camera the
photographer who created the preset happens to be using. As I shoot other
brands, those presets can result in some petty nasty stuff. The bulk of the
Lightroom standard presets seem to be generic enough that they look equally
as bad on every camera.

> I am seeing colleagues using LR only, with no need for PS at all. I
> don't know if I'll ever get *there*. But it would be nice to come close.

It's actually very very close. You can do spot editing and even localized
adjustments. But whenever you need to do pixel moving, I'd say you still
need to throw it into an editor. The nice thing about Lightroom, though, is
that it does almost everything else well enough that you only need a podunk
run-of-the-mill editor, not the multi-thousand dollar Photoshop.

AG