Re: [OM] IMG: Time Out

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Time Out
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2012 14:51:48 -0400
Here is a lengthy list of knocking definitions:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/knock+up

Getting in touch with someone has only a very peripheral connection, if any,
with the British understanding of the term. Much more clearly understood
would be to knock someone up in the morning ....... that is to wake them up
and get them out of bed [or indeed at any hour] and minimise the period
between waking up and actually getting out of bed! A sense of urgency might
be implied.

The salacious slang expression would also be clearly understood given the
context of the conversation in which it was used :-)

I read somewhere that the north American use of joining the tips of one's
index finger and thumb into a letter O to express visually that something is
" A OK " might get one seriously assaulted or worse in some regions of the
world !!

jh