[OM] The great OM focusing screen conundrum

Subject: [OM] The great OM focusing screen conundrum
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:26:49 -0500 (EST)
Hmm,
You could always ask your in house consultant Dr. Focus, but suspect
stopping down would likely just dim the VF a tad.
The injuneers seem to design the DSLR focusing screen to be bright as
it is primarily for framing as they
assume most will be using AF anyhow. The scattering to improve
brightness results in loss of OOF information thus the
F4 depth of focus accuracy. I suppose one could try and find the
midpoint in the near and far limits of the depth of focus  and place
the desired plane of focus at the center to moderately improve the
accuracy of course.

I see Dawid statements referred to using the matte section not the
prism area and thus the different findings. I would be the 1-13 (vs
2-13) may be a bit better at nailing the desired plane of focus at
F1.2, but have not found evidence that anyone had done the experiment.
It would burn a bunch of film to properly perform the experiment.

Mike

Does that mean for most reliable focus to close down to f/4 and hold in
the DoF preview button since DoF indications will be unreliable anyhow?

Chuck Norcutt

http://olympus.dementix.org/eSIF/om-sif/findergroup/focusingscreens.htm