[OM] [OT] Booting from an eSATA drive

Subject: [OM] [OT] Booting from an eSATA drive
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 14:08:50 -0600
Do any of you Windows adepti boot occasionally from an eSATA drive in an
enclosure or dock?  I have a HD which I can boot from when it is in the
PC itself.  When I move it to a dock, connect it to the PC by USB,
select "Boot from USB device" in BIOS, it starts to load Windows and
then crashes.  The blue screen message suggests to look for viruses, to
demount the drive, and maybe something else I can't remember.  I have
demounted the drive, so that's not the problem, nor are there viruses at
issue.  Won't completely load in any mode (safe, normal, etc.) though it
tries.  The version of Win I am trying to load is XP/SP4.  It is a
mirror of what is on the regular boot drive, so it was not built
originally on the drive when it was in the eSATA dock.  I sort of
suspect this is where the problem may lie.

I normally use this dock with an eSATA PCI card.  There is no BIOS
option to boot through the card, so the only option that appears close
is to boot via a USB device, and the dock also has USB support.  The PC
is a Dell GX Optiplex 240, which has SATA support, no problem, but is a
pretty old machine.  Real workhorse, though.

Thanks for any suggestions (other than getting a Mac, running Linux,
etc.).

Joel W.