Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Quique Dacosta
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
I dont know about the ex-RAAF guy, but just listening to you and Ken sends me
into convulsions, Dave...:)

I do like food on the spicy side, but also have a low threshold of pain.  So,
whatever is spicy in my book you might not even feel as such.

I do agree that hot peppers should be added early in the process, but have to
tell ya that you are waaaay off on the improvement part...:)  Fresh chili would
ruin pretty much half of the Bulgarian cuisine, especially the dishes that call
for yogurt.

There is also a fantastic spice, the Bulgarian equivalent of curry, meaning
that it is a mix of spices that absolutely cannot be improved and anything else
added to dishes cooked with it, would ruin it.

Here:

http://findbgfood.com/onlinestore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=124

I have a package from another manufacturer and it says that it contains salt,
paprika, savory (summer), fenugreek, coriander, curcuma and thyme.
Interestingly, its official name can refer to a lot of things, but usually
peeps know what you are asking for.  The name of it is roughly translated as
"colorful or multicolored salt"

I first encountered it at the age of three and a half when my mother finally
took custody of me.  First thing was to take me to the Etar
Architectural-Ethnographic Complex near Gabrovo (google it...).  The bakery
sells all kinds of warm bread fresh from the oven and there was a shaker at the
window with that spice.  You can see that it made great impression on me....:)

I mostly use it on pork and lamb or in the olive oil bread dip.  Once in a
while, I would make my grammas signature dish-oven roasted chicken in a bag
which calls for butter that one places in strategic places, including under the
skin and between muscles.  The entire chicken is then pretty much wallowed in
this spice, I dont know of a better recipe for chicken...:)  Same for hard
boiled eggs.

I have come to terms that would never be able to withstand the pain caused by
various hot sauces available.  I dont know what I am missing and rather keep it
that way...:)

Boris

I find there isn't much food in the world that can't be improved by the
liberal addition of fresh chili or a good chili sauce. all the subtlety
of the flavours that are otherwise completely hidden seem to blossom on
the taste buds with even hint. My local Indian place does a killer
traditional pommy curry (Chicken Tikka Masala) to absolute perfection -
revved up quite a bit for me, of course.... It takes a while to get the
point across at a new place that I want it hot-  not hot for local
taste, or even hot for the testis balancers, but *HOT*...

As for pizza, it has to be fresh or at least a sauce/sambal. Dried
chili, which is how everybody seems to do it, just ruins it for me.
Dried chili definitely has it's place - but it needs to go in the mix
VERY early in the cooking.

I'm not interested in comparing testes with anybody, I just like it
HOT! And I'm just a baby compared to an ex-RAAF guy I used to work
with :)

davidt