Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc

Subject: Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2011 17:58:36 -0700
The original of WAMP and MAMP is LAMP (Linux, etc. as the others). Set up of
a LAMP server is pretty near a no-brainer. In fact, it's pretty much a
single-selection option in many distributions of Linux. There is extensive,
on-line, freely available documentation of the process.

Having set up a WAMP system myself in the past, I'd stay far, far away....

I don't believe that I've got a copy of the PHP & MySQL book, but my
suspicion is that it was likely written for the LAMP environment. It's
certainly where it would make most sense to have done, and be most
profitable.

All that said, however, if the goal is to construct a viable web-site and
gallery, why reinvent the wheel? Many near-turn-key, free, web-site and
gallery packages exist. Just set up a LAMP machine (cheap!), download the
appropriate software, and you're (almost) good to go. Just know from the
outset that most of such software was NOT designed for either the WAMP or
MAMP environments, where software-for-fee is the rule. While lots of such
packages can be made to run under those two derivative environments, it's a
significant amount of work that requires the ability to leave one's comfort
zone quite some distance behind. I can state categorically that it was NOT
fun.

There are so many alternatives available ready-made any more that much of it
approaches appliance status. But not generally in the WAMP and MAMP arena.