Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc

Subject: Re: [OM] (was) colour management now PHP etc
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 14:19:38 -0700
I expect you're looking at this wrong way round, Brian. LAMP, WAMP, MAMP are
all the back-end infrastructure. They're lumber, plumbing and wiring, not
the house. PHP is a scripting language with which one can (with LOTS of
effort) construct an application. Actual operation of that application will
require Apache (to serve the web pages). It will also need MySQL (or other
database engine) to store relevant data, and provide the data to PHP for it
to use to construct the pages, on-the-fly, that Apache will serve. What it
sounds like you are attempting to do here is to build the toaster, from
scratch, when all you really want to do is toast some bread (Sort of like
The Toaster Project:
http://www.ted.com/talks/thomas_thwaites_how_i_built_a_toaster_from_scratch.html
).

None of these things constitute a "program" in the sense of a Irfanview,
FastStone, etc...

The simplest method I can think of to suggest to you to accomplish what
you'd like is to:

1. Pay for a cheap hosting service that:
    a. Provides a built-in, no extra cost set of services to allow you to
build a web "portal" site.
    b. Provides a "dash-board" style method of enabling and maintaining
those services
2. Enable and configure a basic web-site using that service
3. After gaining some familiarity using that site, add gallery capabilities
4. Provide a Paypal account or similar to allow for payment for those things
you wish to sell.

An example of an inexpensive hosting service like that which I mention above
is this site:

http://www.siteground.com/web-hosting.htm

I mention it not to endorse it, but merely to show an example where there
can be had the services that one can, for some $3.95US/month, rapidly turn
into a functioning site. One can do that on a PC at home, as well, but you
won't have as easy a time of it, you will most likely not have sufficient
bandwidth to properly support it, and, worse, you may well violate terms of
service from your ISP, which could well get your nascent site summarily shut
down.

Hopefully, this is some help to you.

---
Scott Gomez