Re: [OM] Oly kit (or not), was Messing Around with Silver Effex Pro v2

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly kit (or not), was Messing Around with Silver Effex Pro v2
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 13:46:33 +0100
And welcome back from me too, Joel, from a hardened gravedigger.  I took the
view that there isn't much scope for gravedigging outside the graveyard, and
since my equipment is dedicated to the task, I might as well make the best
of it.

In other words (AG, please note, three separate words) I *have* switched
from E-3 to E-5.  I have ZD lenses I am very happy with, which being pre-SWD
will not perform as well on m4/3 as on 4/3, and I don't see any alternative
to the ZD 7-14 in a different mount, so there is no small degree of
commitment to 4/3, and the E-5 would appear to be the last optical
viewfinder 4/3 SLR there will ever be (akin to the OM 3Ti in its day,
perhaps). It won't get any better than this. And I had the opportunity to
get a used grey-market E-5 from someone who made the move to m4/3 (he also
sold some splendid ZD lenses way beyond my means, so that was a big leap).

I am very pleased indeed with the results from the weaker AA filter and the
much better high-ISO performance. The LCD screen is hugely better, although
I haven't noticed any improved AF performance (it may be there,
nevertheless) and the art filters can be amusing, but the video capability
is of no interest to me. E-3 weatherproofing and solid build quality are
unchanged, of course. As an example (and picking up on Jim Nicholls' sedum
image) here is a shot straight out of the camera except for i) Lightroom
default sharpening, ii) cropping to 50% pixel dimensions (so it's 25% of the
full image area) and iii) JPEG conversion and downsizing for web in
Lightroom.
1/1500 @ f/5.6 with ISO 400 using the ZD14-54 with 1.4 TC at 76mm.

http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/50-9085226.jpg - 280KB
http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/20-9085226.jpg - 120KB

And, for fun, this grab-shot is simply resized in PS, but otherwise an
untouched "Large Normal" jpeg with "Dramatic Tone" filter applied in-camera,
downsized for web in PS. Chris B might like to provide identification of the
flying object.
1/1000 @ f/4.0 with ISO 200 using the ZD7-14 at 7mm.

http://www.hemy.me.uk/img/10-9095363.jpg - 270KB

Perhaps I will come around to an EVF in a year or so....

Piers