Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: "Jim Nichols" <jhnichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 23:57:40 -0500
Moose,

As I said, I am experimenting.  A friend on the LUG asked me for the RAW
image of the first one, and he could do no better than I did with it.  He
suggested I look at +.3, so I put it up in the gallery because that was the
only way I could read all of the exif data.  I agree, from my simple
experiments, "zero" begins to look better and better.

I am confused by your definition of ETTR.  I thought that the purpose was to
bias the histogram to the right because that allowed more pixels to be used
in the shadow area.  I agree, that going beyond 255 will cause the
highlights to flare, so it should only be used when the full range can be
captured by the sensor.

Is there a simple way to read the exif data in the RAW converter?  All I get
is ISO, shutter speed, and aperture.  EV is not shown in my software.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA