Re: [OM] The event I've been waiting for

Subject: Re: [OM] The event I've been waiting for
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2011 14:49:43 -0700
On 9/4/2011 1:30 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> from
> <http://www.dpreview.com/articles/8428889007/eoshd-ifa-2011-dslr-video-show-report>
>
> "The new OLED Tru-Finder on the A77 and NEX 7 is the best ever EVF to be
> seen in a consumer camera. Honestly I could not tell whether I was
> looking through an optical finder or an electronic one, it’s that good.
> Only the display information and exposure simulation gives the game away."

Nice, and expected, advance. I'm still looking forward to the wireless remote
LCD with camera controls on it.

> I'm not sure the camera is what I've been waiting for (still an APS-C
> sensor and no in-body IS) but the finder is.

I think the game has changed. When I got the 5D, APS sized sensors just weren't
up to what I wanted. I still haven't
done the careful comparison tests I've promised myself. But I have now
processed almost 500 60D files, and I have to say
they are pretty darn good.

There has also been a lot of progress in that time in post processing
capabilities. With a proper touch of NR, ISO 800
is noiseless. Some funny little artifacts when pixel peeping in deep shadows
starting at 200, yep. And NR seems at first
to make them worse, but I now think it just reveals them, freed from the noise.
But, you know, it'll never show in any
reasonable display medium/size. AND, it's not as bad as the "plaiding" in 5DII
shadows that CH has shown us.

I think noise is actually better at ISO 3200 than the 5D and 6400 is certainly
usable for many subjects. I haven't even
tried 12800 yet.

Unless one actually needs all the extra pixels and has, or is willing to buy,
the computer capacity to handle them
without bogging down, I don't think newer FF with much higher pixel counts is
useful. I can feel the difference in
ACR/PS performance on 18 MP vs. 12.7, and I wouldn't want to be processing
21-24MP files without a new computer.

The only thing I've used the 5D for for several weeks is WA, and that's a lot
of bulk and weight to carry for only a few
shots. I broke down and ordered an EX+ Canon 10-22 from KEH. I think this
year's New England trip will be APS-C and G11
only. Although I'll have a 22-28mm (35-45 eq.) gap, I doubt it will be a
problem.  (Worth taking the 24-85 along?) A
16-480 mm eq. focal range is more than I've had before.

Downsizing Moose