Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:15:50 -0700
I ran into a similar problem getting a Vista and a Win7 machine to see an
XP. I finally just put the same admin user account on all of the machines. I
don't have to be logged into the admin account but having the account made
it so they would talk to each other. I believe on the Vista (laptop) I had
to manually open a directory on the XP machine before the database synch
software would talk.

I still haven't understood why. XP to XP had always worked but the Vista to
XP and to a lesser extent, Win7 to XP wouldn't talk from time to time.

It's possible that a Microsoft security update fractured the communications.

I had tried various sharing settings without reliable results (and having to
reboot the machines each time the sharing settings were changed). I believe
I ended up leaving a couple folders open to the world which I hated to do
but couldn't find a work around.

Good luck,
Jeff