Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] Win XP networking advice needed
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2011 01:22:55 +0930
Hi Chuck

Odd that the internet works but the shares do not (proxy-arp can do
this, it depends on the router's smarts).

Are both machines set to 'obtain an ip address automatically' (in the
TCP/IP settings for the ethernet adapter or do you set them to specific
addresses? If auto (or default), hit Start -> Run & type 'cmd<enter>'
into the box, then type 'ipconfig' in the dos window, you should find a
set of parameters for the ethernet 192.168.X.Y or a 10.W.X.Y IP address
and a subnet mask of something like 255.0.0.0 or 255.255.255.0.  Is
these values similar between the machines? (only the 'Y' should be a
different value in the address). if you get a 169.254.x.x address, this
suggests a DHCP problem (an "ipconfig /release" followed by an
"ipconfig /renew" in the dos window can be helpful - sometimes only by
generating error messages that point to the problem :) ).

There are ways that the browsing of shares might work without TCP/IP
being set up correctly, but the machines should be using "NetBIOS over
TCP/IP".

I have seen xp machine shares work daily just fine for years then not
work after a few weeks break, no matter what one does, & then creating a
new share just works with all the same credentials.  The windows
firewall can cause issues with shares as can some AV/AS products.

davidt