Re: [OM] getting out of OM

Subject: Re: [OM] getting out of OM
From: Peter Leyssens <peterleyssens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 20:34:26 +0900 (JST)
Hi John,

> ... it seems to me that aspirations to make carbon prints or pencil and
> paper drawings is a step back from today's easy digital three step of
> "click, chimp and toss [or keep],  and a step forward into a world demanding
> more skill, imagination, creativity, selectivity and patience. Perhaps this
> is what is driving those people who express a desire to revert back to film
> and abandon, or severely curtail, their pursuit of digital on demand.

Yes, something like that. But there's something else that I noticed as well. I
took my Diana to my brother's wedding party last week. The reactions of people
are just different. With a big DSLR (preferably with a big bounce flash),
people turn away. With my Diana, people got interested, started talking about
the camera, wanted to feel it, play around with it, make a photo. One girl of
about 13 asked me if she could "what do you call that, forward the film ?"

I'm not sure the photos will be great. But the experience was !  Sometimes, the
road travelled is more important than the destination. And my personal
experiences with a DSLR were a bit like a long highway in a tunnel: sure, it's
efficient, but it's boring as hell.

Peter.