Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Henri Cartier-Bresson The decisive moment
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 19:46:58 +1000
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 12/06/2011, at 5:50 PM, Moose wrote:
>>  I'm fascinated by the way that the rather brutal building dwarfs the
>> patrons and exhibits and that sometimes, thanks to escalators, the patrons
>> seem to appear and disappear -
>> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/135483449/original
>
> Nice idea. Might an image of the empty escalator between them be effective?

Indeed. It's a work in progress. I think I've got that shot from the same
angle. But I do like the security guard!

>> I was working with the Contax G 45mm Planar on the E-P2 - shot of my day -
>> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/135483450
>> That's the Zeiss look I wanted. An elderly Italian gentleman on a Seniors
>> excursion - worn out by art, obviously. The others and minders all thought
>> it hilarious that I wanted to photograph him.
>
> Just wonderful!
>
> I think it gets even better if the eye, eyebrow, mouth and the nose ever so
> slightly, are given a mild dose of Focus
> Magic. I almost always find I like an image like this best if the eye is in
> focus. Pulling the DOF a little further back
> does that. <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Fildes/Pietro.htm>

Not working for me I'm afraid.

> I'm not sure what the Zeiss look is, but hope the subtle changes doesn't mess
> it up.

So subtle I can't see them?  :-)  I don't know what it is either but I think
it's best thought of as sharp detail, soft tone and good bokeh. Different to
Leica which seems to have a general glow with detail cutting through. Whatever,
shots with this lens do have a really nice rendition of skin. I really wanted
the ear perfect.