Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 06:18:56 -0700
What I've noticed through quite a number of drive purchases over the last
few years is that what is far more important than the manufacturer is the
"series" of drive you buy. Seagate has at least two "series" of drive. WD
may have 3, although I can't remember for sure at the moment.

What will identify them for you is the difference in price/warranty for the
drive. Comparing drives of identical size from Seagate , you'll find "NS"
series "enterprise grade" drives for some models which carry a significantly
longer warranty (and higher price) then their "consumer" grade drives.
Similarly, WD has "green", "black" and "blue"(?) series drives.

With the Seagates, there's a noticeable difference in noise and run
temperature between the NS grade drives and the consumer grade drives, with
the NS running cooler and quieter--a reflection of their better build
quality. It's much the same with the WD drives, in my experience.

At the office, where we need a drive in any user's machine almost only for
the OS, we use very inexpensive, consumer grade disks. User data is stored
on a server, with redundancy. Failure in one doesn't really matter; we just
replace it with a previously imaged disk of whatever size we have at hand.

At home, I use the enterprise grade disks, where I'd prefer to get as much
run-time out of them as possible.

---
Scott Gomez