Re: [OM] (OM) OT words

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT words
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 12:39:20 -0700
On 6/7/2011 6:14 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> My dad had one circa 1959.  Two-tone orange and white with a 1 liter
> Austin engine.  He bought it to save money on gas because he had to
> commute to work about 30 miles one way on Southern California freeways.
>    It didn't last long.  Too small and underpowered amidst heavy 70 mph
> traffic and gas, IIRC, was only about 23 cents/gallon at that time.  I
> can't recall its specific maladies but its hood/bonnet was in the open
> position in the driveway much too often.

Probably the same as all the small, tiny engined British cars of the time
imported and used here. Inadequate engine to
begin with, over stressed by US driving, inadequately maintained by 'Murkins
unused to spending weekend hours keeping
their cars up - together with Lucas electrics and generally poor parts and
assembly quality.

When I was a teenager, I had a neighbor with a Triumph TR2a. He spent endless
hours and lots of money on that car. But
about every second time he took it farther than around the block, something new
broke. I think the last straw was when a
rear end half axle simply broke. The engine was stock, no special, extra power.
I can't imagine that happening to any US
car of the period. Beautiful car, newly painted BRG, with new, custom
upholstery and tonneau cover, lovely exhaust
note*, but totally unreliable.

Later, probably early seventies,a  guy moved in across the street with a very
nice looking MG Magnette. Red again,
although not as bright as the 404, and nice leather upholstery. I envied him -
at first. He spent the requisite many
hours on weekends keeping it up. But everything from major engine bits to door
latches were just junk. He was fighting a
losing battle.

Moose

* I later decided that the special exhaust sound of those cars was because the
mufflers started rusting out right away.