Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 11:26:41 -0500
> Sorry, I forgot about contrast detect autofocus.  You can get the A1 to
> respond quickly but you need to switch to manual focus as well as manual
> exposure.

Well, even at that, if shooting baseball with the A1, you have to
press the shutter-release when the pitcher spits. If you are using AF,
you'll need to press the shutter-release during the National Anthem.

The L1, just as with many of the lower-tier Olympus E-series bodies,
just has a little hesitation before going. I think, in this case, the
mirror must move a little more slowly than I'm used to and the shutter
won't open until it's out of the way. Most people would be totally
oblivious to this, but when shooting action (or a constantly moving
child), this hesitation feels like five minutes.

My wife's Prius is kinda the same way. You punch the throttle and
sometime in the next five seconds it may comply with your wish. Or
not. You're really not sure if or when it will actually go and if
there is any loss of traction, it will proceed to start the entire
sequence over again after displaying a "YOU IDIOT!!!" light on the
dashboard. Meanwhile, there are a dozen people behind you honking
their horns because the stoplight is about to turn red again. Worse of
all, the car doesn't have tinted windows so people can see you inside
the car. As Mark Wahlberg said to Will Ferrell in "The Other Guys",
"What is this?" "It's my car, It's a Prius." "I feel like we're
litterally drivng around in a vagina."

Radio Dispatch: "We found your stolen Prius. It was voting for Ralph Nader."

Back "in the day" I used to shoot bicycle racing and tennis. Actually,
even before that, I used to photograph a lot of high-school sports for
the yearbooks. During highschool I used a brace of Yashica GSN cameras
that had a really fast response, but the shutter-release plunge was
about 60 leagues, so it took a while to get your finger moving that
far, that fast. The OM-2S, which is the slowest-responding OM body,
was pretty well impossible to get timed shots to work out. I have
hundreds of pictures where the action just happened. As a result I
almost always used the OM-1md for sports.

AG