Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeble attempts at getting it out of my system
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:29:25 -0400
I chuckled when I read this 'cause there's a nice case for nostalgia and some
food for thought about technology there, and then we learn the message was sent
from an iPhone. <g>

Perhaps the whole "decisive moment" thing is a bit overdone these days simply
because you can practically shoot video and then examine frame by frame for the
moment you want. The old timers who shot sports with Speed Graphics got the
decisive moments because those are the pictures we have. I'm sure any one of
them would have given an arm and a leg to be able to fire off nine frames a
second. <g>

Still, as I was showing the woman who bought my field camera how it worked, I
didt wax a little nostalgic myself for those days when a morning of heavy
shooting meant I took ten sheets of film with me. As I recall, they were about
two bucks a pop for the film, and two bucks a pop for the processing. Now, even
though the D3 cost me a lot of pops, I can shoot insane numbers of exposures.
But I still like to think that the discipline of using the 4x5 has made me more
thoughtful about holding down the shutter release.

--Bob