Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration

Subject: Re: [OM] Star trail times [was New Kodak Portra 400]--now Palmmigration
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 16:31:49 -0400
Try SyncBack.  It will make you happy.  It's available as freeware, SE
editon or Pro edition.  I run the SE edition.  Click the "products" tab
here <http://www.2brightsparks.com/index-sp.html>

The Pro edition of SyncBack will copy locked system files but I prefer
to clone the boot drive in its entirety rather than worry about locked
files.  I also use an old version of Acronis Trueimage (version 9, OK
for WinXP) which I bought for $10 since it was "obsolete".  I use
Acronis for cloning the boot drive such that it picks up everything
including the Dell service partition and my Linux partition.  I always
keep two copies... one in the house and one elsewhere.

I use Syncback for backing up all of my images and certain data folders
that are on the boot drive but which need more frequent backup than a
full cloning provides because I only do full cloning occasionally.  I
also keep 2 copies of my image files.

I should mention that when I say "copy" I really mean a completely
separate hard drive.  Also, "backup" isn't really the correct term for
what I do.  The correct term in "mirroring".  When I back up the image
files, for example, the source and destination drives will become mirror
images of each other.  Files on the source not on the destination will
be copied to the destination.  And files on the destination not on the
source will be deleted from the destination.

It also does an initial scan and comparison of source and destination
and produces a log of the changes that will take place if you approve. I
generally scan it quickly to see that it makes sense, especially if it's
proposing deletions from the destination drive.  I make sure that I
recall deleting those files from the source.  I've been using it for
several years now and have never seen it make an error.

Of course, the software knows how to do backups beyond mirroring.
Backups are done by selecting a little profile that you build under
program control that specifies source and destination
drives/folders/files and the type of backup activity desired... backup,
mirror, synchronize or restore.

Chuck Norcutt