Re: [OM] Cloudy rear element on the 65-200/4

Subject: Re: [OM] Cloudy rear element on the 65-200/4
From: "Sawyer, Edward" <Ed.Sawyer@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 13:31:22 +0000
I wouldn't expect that to work, based on my experience with fogged elements.
UV light will clear the yellowing common in lenses with a thorium or
lanthanum-doped element, but the typical haze between cemented elements
(Which is what likely plagues the 65-200) doesn't clear with UV light, in my
experience.

The RZ67 75mm shift lens has a congenital defect whereby two cemented
elements in the rear group routinely fog up to a haze, where the two
elements are cemented. It's common in that lens for some reason, as it is on
the OM 8mm FE and 65-200. I shined a UV flashlight down the lens (75mm) for
several days with no change.

The OM hazing reason may be different but I tend to doubt it  will respond
to UV light based on the above.

Separating the elements and recementing might be an option, but is certainly
fairly involved.

If you try it, let us know how it works (if it works).

Thanks
-Ed