[OM] Cloudy rear element on the 65-200/4

Subject: [OM] Cloudy rear element on the 65-200/4
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 May 2011 12:15:42 -0400
I have perhaps one of the few living 65-200/4s that has not been
affected by the dreaded cloudy element disease.  I've often wondered
what was the cause and never seen anything regarding another type of
lens that sounded like it might be the same malady... until today.

I was just reading the following note on the Kiron Klub list on Yahoo.
It certainly sounds similar.  Maybe someone with a cloudy 65-200 will
give the recommended solution a try.  Your guess is as good as mine
about the veracity of the solution.

Chuck Norcutt

 > Has anyone experienced a Kiron 28-85 varifocal with a hazy or cloudy
 >element near the rear of the lens? If so, did the serial number start
 >"054". Yes, I have one.
 > Thanks for your attention. Mel

There is a glass that is doped with a rare earth that will cloud up over
time. Don't remember the details except it is a solid state effect
caused by electron getting bump up into a quantum level. Like in a laser
only they become trapped.

The cure is for the glass to be exposed to strong UV. Might want to
leave it outside on a sunny day or next to a UV lamp and see what
happens. Depending on the strength of the UV source it might take up to
24 hours exposure