Re: [OM] Contax G

Subject: Re: [OM] Contax G
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 12:13:51 -0500
> FYI I still use manual focus OMs for a lot of things, as I sometimes find
> them much faster and easier to control (e.g. when zone focusing) but the G2
> is a fun little camera with fantastic lenses, that is much cheaper now than
> it was in the early aughts (God bless digital).

I agree completely!  The OMs are so easy to focus and are
"anticipatory" cameras. They allow you to adjust and set the camera in
anticipation of the shot coming up. Our Auto-Everything Wonderbricks
are more "reactionary" in operation.

With the manual cameras (especially Leicas), you are watching the
subject and reading the light, the distance, the scene, etc., and
while watching you can actually be making adjustments to the camera
usually by feel. (those focus finger-tabs on Leica lenses are actually
a brilliant feature). When you are ready to take the picture, just
raise the camera to your eye, frame and click. Just as quickly, the
camera is back down and in a non-active state. Your subjects may not
even be aware that you even took the picture, much less see the
camera.

The Wonderbricks of today are so different. It's very difficult with
most of them to make adjustments without looking at the camera.
Exposure compensation? Which dial and in which direction? Aperture
adjustment? Same thing and oh, by the way, how many clicks? Focusing?
Even the world's fastest AF is still just laggy enough that the
subject has time to respond. Don't get me started on the flickering
garbage AF assist that Olympus has put into the E-system. What planet
are they on?

Of course, this isn't an extreme of one way or the other. Modern
wonderbricks can be used like old-style cameras, but that's not how
the interface is optimized. The interface encourages a certain style
of shooting, but doesn't force it. Old style cameras sometimes do
force a certain style of shooting, but many can also be put into some
form of "park your brains" mode. (That's what the "P" mode is
called--"Park Your Brains").

AG (P-mode) Schnozz