Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 08:10:04 -0400
I have been using Epson Scan with my V700 simply because it's much
easier to use than VueScan.  I use its "professional mode" which seems
to have all the controls I've needed so far.  In particular, after doing
a preview scan one is presented with a histogram and levels sliders.
There are other controls as well but, off the top of my head, I can't
recall them.  Maybe that's because I haven't needed them much.  In any
case, I've been happy with the results and certainly haven't seen
anything like a big highlight spike.

Having said this I should also note that I've done very little film
scanning with the V700 since I got it.  I have yet to seriously embark
on what is probably a multi-year project to scan many thousands of
slides and negatives from the past including those from my father's
photography in the 50s and 60s.

My first scanner was an Acer Scanwit 2720s.  The scanner is capable of
doing a good job but the packaged software (Mirafoto) left a great deal
to be desired.  Consequently I used to use VueScan with it exclusively.
  When I got the V700 I tried using VueScan again but had great
difficulty trying to set up VueScan to recognize the coordinates of all
the images in the film holder.  I needed to scan about 6 negatives
quickly and, after futzing about with Vuescan for about 1/2 hour, I
still hadn't figured out how to get it to recognize the locations of the
images in the film holder.  And that was just for the images in one of
the four film strip columns.  At that point I got frustrated and
reverted to Epson Scan.  I didn't like that at first until I discovered
the "professional mode" which made a dramatic difference in the scans
since it allowed easily setting levels in the histogram.

When and if Epson Scan fails to deliver on the big project I'll be
willing to go back and try to figure out how to make VueScan properly
locate each image.  Until then I'll stick with Epson Scan since it seems
to do a decent job.

Chuck Norcutt