Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: 10 more film pics
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 17:04:24 -0700
On 3/23/2011 3:14 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I have added 10 pictures shot around here with my Fuji MF rangefinder to my
> film gallery. Start with this one:
>
> http://www.greatpix.eu/Other/Sometimes-I-use-film/7590141_XFqsu#1226387893_E2Nfr-O-LB

Some excellent new images there!

But I'm not sure your scanner software is doing you any favors. To my eye, you
are capturing excellent subjects for MF
B&W film - and the scanning process, almost certainly the software and/or
settings, is making them far less than they
could be.

Have I done more than that in my examples? Sure, but just a good job of
scanning would make huge improvements!

It's doing a good job of retaining the whole brightness range, avoiding
clipping at top and bottom of the histogram. But
it's expanding the mid tones upward, compressing the upper mid range/lower
highlights into huge spikes near the top of
the histogram. In most of the images, highlight tonal detail is compressed so
much that it just looks white.

Fortunately, with no clipping and the compression up at the top of the
histogram, there's enough data to do a fairly
nice job of recreating more properly spread tonalities. Working with good scans
at fill size in 16 bit would be subtler,
which might or might not be noticeable in a web image compared to what I've
done below.

The first image is strongly affected by this. In the original you posted, there
is almost no detail in the stone on the
left. Squash the highlight spike down and spread it out and, Bob's your uncle,
there's all kinds of textural/tonal
detail in the stone.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=SIuf_Plaza_deAa.jpg>
(In all of these examples, just click on the left of the image to see the
original.)

Same effect, although less significant with this subject.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=SIuf_MonCafea.jpg>

Here, the effect makes the image very flat, by taking so much contrast detail
out of the buildings.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=SIuf_Conversationia80.jpg>

On this one, I may well have gone too far for some in taking away the misty
look. Even so, look past that for a moment
to see how the scan compression made almost all the interesting cloud detail
invisible.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=SIuf_Playa_de_Postiguetia75.jpg>

Now this is just a beautiful image - when the clouds aren't seriously
compromised.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=SIuf_Salinas_de_Santa_Polaia60.jpg>

Here, the red filter held the clouds through scanning, but the building and
foreground again lost detail.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Others/Wajsman/Sometimes_I_Use_Film&image=ISuf_Casa_Marilynia70.jpg>

A. Passionate Moose