Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2011 17:44:14 -0500
The two Manfrotto architectural plates arrived from B&H today.  At first
I was disappointed since the new plate didn't appear to seat properly in
the QR head due to the clamping screw extending beyond the bottom plane
of the plate.  After a brief inspection I discovered that it's possible
to tighten the screw down on the edge of the recess cut into the plate
for the screw head.  That leaves the head protruding too far down and
prevents the plate from seating flat on the QR head.  Backing the screw
out and carefully positioning the head into the recess designed for it
proved that all works quite well and the plates fit just as well as the
non-architectural plates.  Both the 5D and the 80-200/2.8 are now
wearing the architectural plates.  A quick trial on both the tripod and
monopod indicate that the @^%&%& twisting action appears to be a thing
of the past.  I'll report if actual field practice proves something
different.

Investment so far about $43 with shipping.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt