Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 14:22:13 -0800
On 3/1/2011 6:54 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> I've always known my Manfrotto Hex QR Plates to induce vibration.

"Induce"? It's the camera that induces the vibrations. The support system may
enhance/exacerbate or tend to absorb/damp,
but it doesn't start it. (Except for wind, which has nothing to do with the QR
plate.)

> Particularily so with the OM system.

Really? I just pulled down the 3047 head to check. I can try to move, tap, play
with the plate any old way, and it acts
like it's welded to the head. I've used that head on the 3236 legs with all
kinds of body lens combos for the sorts of
moderately long exposures where camera induced vibration is a problem and never
seen a sign if it.

> But the question is "how much?" Usually the answer is that it's not enough to
> be worried about. The convenience of the QR plates, especially when using
> multiple cameras, is too great to not use them.

I generally agree. Although in the case of my non-QR version of the Manfrotto
monopod head and of the Velbon PH-253 ball
head, the big thumb wheels make them very quick and easy, without the extra
weight of the QR stuff.

Steady as She Goes Moose