Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 22:36:13 -0800
On 3/1/2011 3:21 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> . . .
> Regardless, the plate itself seems to bond well with the camera and
> tripod head and is fine enough for long-wave vibration, but not the
> high-frequency vibration and shock as triggered by the shutter itself.

I wonder if the QR system is contributing to the problem. When I tap the 3047,
with or without QR plate attached, it
certainly 'rings', and sounds the same to me, not like a bell, but not like a
dead 'thud', either. I rather suspect that
the same head with no QR set-up would act the same as to resonating with OM
vibrations.

The very rigidity of those metal castings and the big, solid joints means it is
bound to have a resonant frequency, and,
I suppose, overtone freqs.

Although neither of the two nearby, real camera shops carried a head for me, my
favorite has started carrying their own,
unbranded sandbags. Nice design, with a line of stitching across the middle
creating two roughly square
sub-compartments, with a handle at that midpoint. The design lends itself to
either draping across camera and lens or
hanging from tripod.

With my quite solid, but still light, new CF tripod, I'm going to try to
remember to use the bag when at home or near
the car. I'm not carrying an additional 5# of dead weight very far though.

> Alas, this might get us off into a dark alley discussing tripods themselves.

I already started that thread last week, and it didn't go anywhere; nothing
like the QR thread. Apropos the above, I do think CF is a real improvement over
metal, perhaps even wood, for damping, rather than enhancing, vibration. I have
an otherwise nice, mid-weight aluminum Cullmann tripod I inherited from dad,
but goodness does it carry and hold vibrations!

Moose