Re: [OM] If one could dream...

Subject: Re: [OM] If one could dream...
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 16:05:53 -0600
> I believe you possess a 35 shift (though ownership may be different) and
> have put it to good use. A 24 would give you the most new capability.

The 35 Shift went back to live with its owner. I held it hostage long
enough and needed to learn how to make do with a zillion other lenses.
I did greatly appreciate the gift of the long-term loan, though.

> I think the 90 is a great lens but that may be partly coincidence that the
> first few photos I took with it made me very happy (simple portraits). I
> think of the 90 as having a special personality rather than just being
> technically a great lens.

Excellent point! I agree that it has a personality and isn't
"clinical" in how it renders the scenes.

> The 100/2 is an excellent lens (sharp, high contrast) but I haven't taken
> any photos with it that made me think of it as having a special personality
> (probably not the fault of the lens). You've already written 10,000+ words
> about how good your 100/2.8 is so the 100/2 would be at risk of causing
> either disappointment or the flood of 20,000+ words about how good it is ...

LOL, and your point is?

> I always seem to either carry the 35 shift or a 35-xx zoom so I haven't used
> the 35/2 enough to have any opinion. The 35/2 is probably the least
> expensive f2 Olympus lens... it is probably easy to build and should perform
> well.

I do like the personality in the images from the 35/2. It gives
subjects that isolating 3D rim just like the 35-80 does.

> I like Zuikos but the Tamron 400 f4 is the big lens I grab when I'm serious
> about using a long telephoto. It works very well with the Olympus 1.4x TC.
> The 3.9kg weight of a 350/2.8 vs 2.27kg of the 400/4 is surely part of the
> choice but the Tamron performs superbly.

A really big hunka glass is tempting. But that's more of a practical
decision instead of an emotional/artistic one. I'm just being
unreasonable with myself and thinking about stuff I can't afford right
now anyway.

AG