Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] QR plate recommendation
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 10:59:17 -0800
It does look like the 200PL-14 fits the 234RC
<http://www.manfrotto.com/product/8374.31708.76902.0.0/234RC/_/Monopod_Quick
_Release_Head>

A potential problem is the side the lip is on. The tilt head looks like it
would tilt left/right rather than up/down with respect to the lip. Surely a
head with full motion would be fine. I think the lip will solve the rotation
problem but check the orientation.

There was a $2500 ebony camera for sale on ebay recently which looked like
someone had wrenched the tripod screw too tight. The base plate was
"dimpled" out.

Several of the AS style lens plates have a square dovetail base which
eliminates the issue of left/right vs. up/down.

I switched to the AS style because I could see movement when using long
lenses with the Manfrotto heads I had. I believe the rubber pad is the cause
of the problem. One of the lenses I noticed vibration/movement with was a
Vivitar S1 800mm f11 catadioptric. The lens is quite small and balances over
the tripod head nicely. The long focal length made the movement very
noticeable.

If you do switch to AS style one thing to consider is that the lever clamps
are very sensitive to the differences in width of the plates. The RRS lever
clamp won't securely hold all plates (typically older ones whether RRS,
Kirk, etc but the only way to know is to try them). If you decide to go with
a lever clamp you might end up buying/selling a few older models of plates
to find which work and which don't (you can phone RRS and ask about new
ones).

Good luck,

Jeff Keller