Re: [OM] A voice from the past says "hi"

Subject: Re: [OM] A voice from the past says "hi"
From: "George Themelis" <george@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:27:42 -0500
Hi Larry,

> Saying that you "bumped into" micro 4/3, I gather that you may
> not be aware of the  H-FT012, a micro 4/3 3D lens that Panasonic
> announced last fall.

Actually, I became aware of this lens before I knew what micro 4/3 means,
just by participating in 3d discussion lists.  After I got my Panasonic FG1
camera, one of the first things to do was to buy this lens.  So I have it
for a week now.

One of the first problems I had is that the FG1 does not communicate well
with the lens and will not let you fire the shutter (it will fire with a
totally unknown lens, but not with this.) I had to tape the contacts of the
lens to take pictures.

> It is a pair of lenses in a single micro 4/3 mount.  I suspect,
> however, that it won't be sophisticated enough for your needs.
> It has a fixed stereo separation of only about 10mm, and is a
> fixed f/12.

The 10mm lens separation is a big problem.  It is too small for anything,
except for macro 3d photography.  But the lens is so compact and easy to
carry & use, I thought it might be useful for close-ups.

My first tests were rather disappointing.  I like portraits, but to take a
portrait with decent depth you need to come so close that only half of the
face is in the picture.  I tried close-up lenses too. One problem is that if
you come too close, you need to crop the picture a lot.  You end up with a
picture that has strong portrait aspect ratio.  To get a square or landscape
aspect ratio you will need to throw away most of the picture.

I hope to find some ways to use this lens or it will be wasted money (and it
is overpriced to start).

> Also, it sounds like it may only display 3D images on Panasonic 3D
> televisions.

Someone who knows how to work with 3D images can treat these pictures as
with any other 3d picture, so this is not a problem.

The bottom line is that the Panasonic people are out of their minds to make
this lens and try to sell it as lens for general 3d photography with only
10mm lens spacing.  That's a  joke.

George