Re: [OM] Brecon Beacons crash sites, was Re: Battery gunk

Subject: Re: [OM] Brecon Beacons crash sites, was Re: Battery gunk
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:29:14 +0000
You're probably right, John (Duggan), but you wrote earlier that the Canadian
Wellington thought that he was over East Anglia.  I should think that all the
bomber squadrons were based much further east or south than Wales and that they
found themselves there in bad weather without a decent navigational fix.  There
was no way of getting down through cloud safely during the war; I think that
they had very little in the way of blind flying equipment, no radar and little
in the way of cloud penetration aids.  We have no radar at my airfield, so we
use radio DF as an airfield approach (called a Controlled Descent through
Cloud, or QGH in the Q-code)

And I rather think that the other John is being unnecessarily facetious  . . .

Chris