Re: [OM] Battery gunk

Subject: Re: [OM] Battery gunk
From: "Daniel Sepke" <daniel.sepke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:22:59 -0500
John,

In addition to Chuck's note regarding white vinegar (not malt BTW) as the
solution to your problem can I suggest you pry the contacts out of the
casing and place them in a bowl to soak. You should find the outer two
nearest the foot side of the chamber are the main contacts into the circuit
(they have wires on the side you can't see). These two will not come out but
the others are just links to connect the battery string together. I have
done this on many a T32 and T20, all it takes is a gentle bit of probing
with a jeweler flat blade screwdriver to lift them out of the slots. With
them out you will be able to get them totally clean and get the crud that
was behind them too. As a final step, and depending on how much the alkaline
ate the plating on the terminals you may want to polish them with a bit of
brasso or another metal polish.

Good luck with this one!

Dan S