Re: [OM] OM System Slide Copier

Subject: Re: [OM] OM System Slide Copier
From: <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2010 12:11:51 -0500
Hi Moose, thanks for the detailed reply - you've given me several things to
think about.

As to the costs - I've got what I need, except for the slide copier, if I use a
1.8/50 lens.  I can pick up the copier for around $25 but the 4/80 lens is
considerably more than what I want to invest.  I used the 50mm with the OM
bellows about 35 years ago for some casual macro work and thought the results
were acceptable.  But, that wasn't flat copy work so photographing slides could
well be a different matter.

Dust is a concern.  My slide film was processed by a Pro lab and the slides
were delivered almost dust free.  They remained that way up until six years ago
when we were moving to a new house.  Mitchelle and I were carrying the slide
cabinet through the utility room when our grip slipped, the cabinet tilted, the
drawers slid open and we dumped the slides out into the floor where a chest
type freezer had been sitting for the last 25 years.  I said "had been sitting"
because the movers had just removed the freezer and we hadn't cleaned up the
floor at that point so there were quite a few dust bunnies (to say the least)
where the slides landed.  Anyway, the slides are far from dust free at this
point.  Based on my experience with product photography I would expect that
dust would be even more of a problem with the slide copier than it is with my
SS4000.  I also have an Epson 2450 scanner that will handle slides and
transparencies but it, like the SS4000, doesn't have the IR chann
 el.  If I was going to shoot a lot more film I'd probably purchase one of the
Nikon 9000 scanners but right now that doesn't look to be a good investment.

So, thanks again for your input.  I'm now leaning toward continuing with the
SS4000.  I can just do a minimal amount of cleaning before the proof scan and
later do a more thorough job on the ones where I decide to make a full res scan.

Cya,
Johnny