Re: [OM] OM System Slide Copier

Subject: Re: [OM] OM System Slide Copier
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 21:07:27 -0800
On 12/1/2010 5:16 PM, jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi Folks,

Hi Johnny,

> I'm wondering if anyone on the List has any experience using the OM system
> slide copier to digitize slides.  As a winter time project I hope to make
> proof size files of my slide library for cataloging in Lightroom.  Since, for
> this purpose, the image files don't need to be high resolution I'm thinking
> it might speed up the process to use a slide copier rather than scan them in
> my Polaroid SS4000.  I've read the owner's manual for the copier in the
> OMSIF but I'm left with a couple of points that I'd like clarified before I
> purchase the slide copier.

I've done some simple testing, "scanning" slides and color negative film using
the 5D, Oly Auto Bellows, 80/4 Auto and
Slide Copier attachment.

In terms of color, resolution, etc., that combination is capable of far more
than just proof files. On old film, late
30s Kodachrome, the results are fully comparable to 4000 dpi scans on a Canon
FS4000. On contemporary film, the scanner
captures more detail, but not a great deal for any use other than quite large
prints.

Calculated dpi is about 3100. As some testers have suggested that 3200 dpi gets
pretty much what's available on most
35mm film, my results aren't very surprising.  So you could do much more than
make record proofs, including quite usable
high resolution images. If I were going to the trouble of shooting each one, it
would be as large and good quality as I
could manage.

In my case, I opted to stick with scanners for a couple of reasons. Using the
slide copier means constant involvement
with the process. Scanning is slower per frame, but I can preload film with the
scanners and let them do their thing
while I do other things. With the 9950, I can do 12 slides at once.

The other reason doesn't apply to your situation. Both my film and flatbed
scanners have IR channels, so I have
automated dust removal with them, but not with the camera/bellows/slide copier
set-up. If there are a lot of them, I'd
be looking for a nice used Canon 9950F. Dust removal is a huge issue for
anything other than thumbnail size images.
Cardboard mounts shed stuff and plastic ones can attract dust electrostaticly
when handled.

> I didn't see any mention of what method should be used to illuminate the
> slide.  Any suggestions?

I used a little, 4x5" light "table". They are inexpensive under many brand
names and are supposed to be properly
daylight white balanced - and I already had it for viewing transparencies. My
results were fine for color using daylight
WB. I'm sure a small flash unit would work fine if you set that camera to the
right WB. I'm not sure I would want to
spend a long time with a flash firing toward me and close, though. The copier
has a nice ground glass diffuser built in
to help assure even lighting. If color is a big deal, a profile could be made.

> Also, the manual recommends the use of the 80mm, f4 macro lens but says that
> the normal 50mm, f1.8 can be substituted. Has anyone tried the 50mm and were
> you satisfied with the results?

I haven't tried anything other than the 80/4 Auto. I doubt any of the 50mm
lenses would be ideal. With 5D, the repro
ratio is 1:1, and none of the 50s are corrected for that, while that's optimal
for the 80/4. The 50/3.5 is still quite
good at 1:1, although not as good as at 1:2. Unfortunately, when I did my tests
of macro lenses, I didn't yet have the
80/4, so I don't have a direct comparison.

As to the 50/1.8, any version, I just don't see it. That's so far out of its
design range, there's bound to be softness
and field curvature problems. Although if you stick with small scan sizes, it
might be fine.

> Any other suggestions and/or comments?

If you have more than maybe a couple hundred slides, I just don't see this
solution being optimal. By the time you buy
the slide copier and a macro lens, you could have bought a flatbed scanner that
is easier to use and has dust removal.
At least on the 9950F, there's no fussy mounting of slides in a holder.

You just drop them into holes in a guide that rests on the glass, and push the
go button. Come back later, but them back
in the box and drop in the next bunch.

Slither & Slide Moose