Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?

Subject: Re: [OM] Saving the planet or just saving money?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 17:09:52 -0800
On 11/17/2010 3:19 AM, Wayne Harridge wrote:
> I heard the saying: "the cheapest car is the one you already have"

I don't know if that is generally true. ;-)

But it's true often enough, and beyond vehicles.

The low mileage '96 Mazda Protege I inherited from Mom doesn't get the mileage
of newer econoboxes, especially as it's
mostly used for the kind of driving where hybrids shine in mileage. But even a
slightly used Prius won't pay out as a
replacement before it has turned to dust.

My furnace is over 45 years old, probably 60-65% efficient, according to the
guy who came out to look at it. Calif. and
the Feds were offering rebates for replacing with new, super efficient
furnaces, so I got a bid from the people who were
cheapest and did a great job on the dead water heater.

A 95% efficient furnace doesn't generate enough draft to use the existing flue.
Fortunately, the furnace replaced a
floor furnace, before my time, so its flue goes out sideways, then up the side
of the house. So I wouldn't have to pay
to run a new, almost horizontal flue, just cut short the existing one.

Still, even after rebates, the new furnace wouldn't pay out within its expected
life. Our mild weather here just doesn't
use the heating or cooling energy of many other parts of the state and country.

The new, high tech stuff is great in some ways, but doesn't last anywhere near
as long as the old stuff. I would guess
the existing furnace may go a few more decades. I already rewired it with a
relay to accommodate newer, solid state
thermostats. That cost nothing but a bit of my time. I can't buy and install
the furnace myself, as the rebates require
a licensed installer. Prolly need a permit with the same requirement, too.

So until some ship comes in, and I can afford to be greener on principle, the
old faithful will go on. In the meantime,
we're putting film over the windows,  patching other heat leaks and dressing
warm.

Winter's Coming Moose