Re: [OM] 0.95

Subject: Re: [OM] 0.95
From: "Jeff Keller" <om-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:05:44 -0800
You might be remembering two aspects.

Stephen, Ken, etc brought up how a longer focal length has to be used to
have the same image framing with a larger image size. From
<http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/digital-camera-sensor-size.htm>

"As sensor size increases, the depth of field will decrease for a given
aperture (when filling the frame with a subject of the same size and
distance).  This is because larger sensors require one to get closer to
their subject, or to use a longer focal length in order to fill the frame
with that subject.  This means that one has to use progressively smaller
aperture sizes in order to maintain the same depth of field on larger
sensors."

It has also been brought up how often a fast lens set at say f1.2 doesn't
have one stop more light than at f1.4. Many/most lenses provide more even
lighting at higher aperture number settings ... light fall off in the
corners is often greater at wider apertures.

But an f no. is just focal length divided by aperture. If both focal length
and aperture are unchanged (the same lens), a larger sensor will just cover
a wider image with typically more fall off in the corners.

Jeff Keller