Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2010 16:03:02 -0400
The fundamental points are that each branch is to be seen as a check and
balance against the others.  To become law a legislative proposal must
be approved by both houses of the congress (house and senate) and also
be signed by the president.  If the president doesn't like the proposed
law he can veto it.  But if the congress has enough votes they can
override the president's veto.  Finally, the law can be struck down by
the supreme court *if a case is brought before it* and the court rules
the law unconstitutional.

But it quickly gets more complicated than that.  Take, for example, the
recently passed national health care law.  The Republicans have declared
their desire to repeal the law.  But repealing the law is unlikely since
Obama need only veto the repeal and there probably aren't enough votes
to override the veto.  But the congress (unlike the president) is also
entrusted with the power of the purse.  Only the congress can actually
authorize the actual expenditure of money.  So, while the health care
law may remain on the books, it is an entirely different question than
whether money will actually be allocated to pay for its provisions.
Another form of gridlock which some will praise and others will decry.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt