Re: [OM] (OT) G12

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12
From: John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 19:32:50 -0300
As to a lens's optical quality and the reference to "high end Zuiko lenses"
I was infering a consideration of the "negative" from which a large hard
copy print could be made. I think it can be safely assumed that a negative
created with say these Zuiko film camera lenses for example ..  MIJ 50 /
f1.8, 85 / f2, and 90 / f2 ......would, all other things being equal and
favourable, generate a sharp large hard copy print second to none. Likewise
with most, if not all, latter day Leica lenses. With digital there is
obviously no film "negative". The comparable image storage medium is a
digital file created by the camera's sensor generated by the light entering
the camera through the lens. What is common here is the "light entering the
camera through the lens". What is different is the medium on which the
latent image is stored.

What interests me, and what provoked my original question / observation, is
the relative contribution provided by the camera lens to the generation of
the latent image.

On a side by side comparison of two large hard copy prints, one generated by
a "high end" Zuiko film camera lens and one generated by a lens on the G12,
which one would be an obljectively  judged better print [colour rendition,
sharpness, etc, etc].

In combination, if the G12's lens AND sensor generate a superior print is
that superiority more attributable to the optical quality of the lens or to
the technology of the sensor? If this is so, what is the relative
contribution of each of the lens and the sensor?

If the film camera lens image is superior, is there a way in which the
optical quality of the lens can be compared against that of the digital
camera ?

Hopefully, the above line of thinking and enqury makes sense.

For someone who was brought up believing that the quality of the lens optics
was paramount it is challenging to redirect that thinking into believing
that the quality and technical superiority of the sensor can also make a
significant contribution to ultimate hard copy image quality.

On the assumption that this redirection of thought is necessary how much of
that paramountcy should be directed towards the sensor and whether this
should be at the expense of accepting a degredation in the quality of the
optical glass used to manufacture the lens?

jh