Re: [OM] (OT) G12

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) G12
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 14:31:02 -0700
On 10/24/2010 2:00 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> GBPounds539 I see on Photoradar.com.

Wow, it's $500 in the US. I suppose the UK price includes VAT.

> I wonder what how optical quality of the lens compares with that of high end
> Zuiko lenses.

It's the same lens optically as the G10 & G11, so there are many tests and
scads of images available. Canon claim to
have made the IS work better for macro.

  The lens was designed for the 14.7 MP G10, before Canon decided to drop the
MP count on the small sensor to 10 MP to
optimize other aspects of IQ. So the lens is just coasting with the current
sensor. My personal experience is that the
sensor puts more limits on resolution than does the lens.

It does have noticeable distortion at the short end, which is easily corrected
with PTLens or other software in post.
Otherwise I think it's excellent.

By "high end Zuiko lenses", do you mean OM mount or DZs? In either case, it not
really possible to make a good
comparison, as the G12 lens is permanently tied to one particular sensor
system, which has a lot to do with what comes
out of it.

Moose