Re: [OM] Finally, some darkroom time (couple of OM B&W prints)

Subject: Re: [OM] Finally, some darkroom time (couple of OM B&W prints)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2010 14:51:43 -0700
On 10/23/2010 1:32 PM, John Hudson wrote:

>> My mom was on Coumadin (The fancy,  prescription name for the rat poison
>> warfarin.). A constant fuss to keep the dose right, so the blood level was
>> enough for the desired thinning effect and low enough that she didn't just
>> start leaking blood.
> Nothing at all difficult or fussy !
>
> Blood sample taken every month and the INR reading determined.
>
> Increase or decrease your daily intake of leafy greens to fine tune the INR
> given the daily dose of warfarin.
>
> Been at it for years ........... my wife is very good at drawing the blood.

You obviously have different definitions than do I. Anything involving drawing
blood, testing blood and adjusting diet
and/or dosage is fussy in my book.

As to difficult, mom lived on her own, although for the last few years of her
life, I was there a lot. Although an
ex-nurse, she hadn't drawn anyone's blood  in a loooong time, let alone her
own. I have no training in phlebotomy, let
alone any desire to practice it.

Add to that the fact that even practiced phlebotomists often had great
difficulty drawing her blood. At the lab I
usually drove her to, only one tech was fairly reliably able to do so. And no,
it wasn't just that lab. There alone you
have something that deserves my definition of difficult and fussy.

Then a bit more fuss for me. Whenever they changed the dosage, I'd have to go
through the three weeks worth of boxes
holding 3-4 daily dosages of various drugs, pick out little pills and replace
them.

As to diet, I was not aware she was ever offered that, although she might not
have told me. At least in later days,
simply making something that she wanted to eat enough to do so was a problem,
without adding further dietary requirements.

I'm glad that you have live-in help to make it easy for you.

Mind you, difficult and fussy may be preferable to the alternative. ;-)

My viewpoint may also be affected by the fact that my use of drugs is limited
to three pills, a decongestant,
antihistamine and Aleve, maybe every six weeks or so when I get a sinus
headache.

Healthy Happy Moose