[OM] Book review - Ansel Adams in Color

Subject: [OM] Book review - Ansel Adams in Color
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 16:01:34 -0700
The photography exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art meant lots of photography
books in the shop. One that caught my
attention was Ansel Adams in Color, a 2009, expanded reissue of the 1993 book.

If you've ever wondered what St. Ansel would have done in color, here's the
answer. I don't know what the earlier book
looked like. Reviewers say this one is better printed. Nor do I know what
prints might look like. I can say that the
reproductions in this book strike me as gorgeous.

There are 62 color reproductions, covering a fairly wide range of subjects,
light and mood. I really love many of them.
There's also a small selection of letters at the end that show Adams' changing
views of color photography. One of his
big frustrations was the inability to get a print that came anywhere close to
the transparencies.

I wonder what he would have thought of these reproductions.

At $23 from Amazon, I think this book is a steal. I may even buy a second to
cut up for images to mount. Zone-10 doesn't
have Amazon ad-links these days, but maybe another of your favorite photo web
sites could do with your buying through them.

Bookworm Moose