Re: [OM] Head Pounding Moment

Subject: Re: [OM] Head Pounding Moment
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 15:16:39 -0500

> Just goes to show that exact color reproduction is not always what we're
> after.  There are too many digital/photography newbies who think that
> everything needs to be white balanced.  :-)

One of the things I always appreciated about Kodak portrait films is that
when you white-balance the flash-lit subject, the background goes a neutral
warmtone without picking up unnatural man-made colorcasts.

I was just looking back through some pictures I took about five years ago
with the E-1 and noted a similarity. Unfortunately, I've somehow lost some
of that look. I don't know what's up with that. Same camera, but the
workflow has changed as well as my style of lighting.

Back in the day, I was running a 285HV on a Stroboframe with a couple sheets
of diffusion material across the face of the flash. Then I changed to the
Lumaquest LightDome. Now I use more off-camera flash, large diffusers and
ambient light than ever before. Instead of subject-background isolation, I'm
lighting the room and getting more background lighting. But at the same time
I'm losing that isolation. Maybe it's time for me to revisit some old
lighting techniques.

AG