Re: [OM] romance of film

Subject: Re: [OM] romance of film
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2010 18:23:22 -0500
> Try scanning 6cm x 7cm colour negatives. The rich visual ambience is even
> greater than with 35mm. Mind you, the TIFF files so generated are about
> 500mb large !

Well, not exactly. The ONLY difference between the 35mm scan and a
6x7cm scan is that 6x7 lets you go larger in print. There should be no
difference in those traits between a 5x7 35mm print and a larger print
from 6x7.

> So far no one has commented as to whether what I am sensing about the rich
> visual ambience of scanned film over digital is rational or otherwise.

If you are asking me, I say that it is absolutely real. Real enough
that I've decided that it's worthwhile to fight the workflow issues
and cost associated with it. Obviously not for everything, but when it
makes sense.

Bob's DS3 is a fine piece of kit, no doubt. And he even makes a
comment about it having distinct advantages over a film camera when
shooting out in the field. Maybe, maybe not. Each system has
advantages and disadvantages. Maybe he would like to join me on a week
of hiking on Isle Royale...

Yesterday, I shot a portrait session using the L1. The L1 ain't no E-1
when it comes to skintones. And the E-1 ain't no Portra 160NC when it
comes to skintones either. The L1 is actually pretty "normal" in the
digital work for color/contrast. Baby pictures with an adhd 6mo old.
I'd have shot film except i was fearful of wasting tons of film on
this job. Honestly, I wish I did.

AG