Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 08:53:16 -0500
Now, I'll freely admit that my laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth and
it never was the biggest/baddest machine around. But I'd like to think that
it is representative of what the masses have. If you compared it to what all
the list members have, it's probably right in the middle. It was one of the
more potent machines available when I got it and the processor is still
competitive.

I loaded up the latest/greatest version of Lightroom. Yup. No difference
than the previous versions of Lightroom. Slow? I think we need to offer
apologies to Olympus for calling Studio slow. Honestly, it runs no less than
3X slower than Studio on the exact same files. Memory? Hog central. My other
converters and sort programs run circles around Lightroom.

What about editors? I use a selection of Photoshop Elements, The GIMP and
Picture Window Pro 5.0. Most everything is done in PWP. What takes 3-4
seconds in PWP is usually a 30-40 second process in Elements.

Once in a while, I'll check on memory usage. Every Adobe product will just
slam the daylights out of the memory even before ANY file is opened. It's
insane.

I'm not picking only on Adobe as there are other programs out there that are
as wasteful, but Adobe and Microsoft seem to have "bloat" down to an
artform. Something that can be done with four lines of code are literaly
3000-4000 lines of code because they just copy entire modules and then alter
the snippits.

Since I deal as much with 35mm scans as well as digital camera files, there
is no way I can use any Adobe product in my normal workflow unless I
specifically need to. I'd have to do what you guys have done and spend $5000
USD on a new computer just to be able to load up and run the latest version
of Photoshop which costs more than my total spending on digital cameras!

For those of you who are perfectly content with Adobe products and have
spent the $5000+ on a computer to run it, I'm happy for you. Enjoy life--at
least until you have to go through the upgrade treadmill all over again and
you discover that 8GB of RAM still isn't enough to do basic sorting of files
in Lightroom, much less fire up layers in Photoshop.
A buddy of mine went pro 33 months ago. Bought all new equipment to start
his business with. His buy-in costs were right around $25000. Of that, not
even $10000 was camera equipment, lights and backdrops. The rest was
computers and software.

...and people pick on me for my buying habits and the camera equipment I
use?

AG