Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] More Memory (OT)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:57:44 -0400
In case you haven't noticed there haven't been any Motorola processors
around for some time now.  In the early 90s streaming data was better
handled by Apple's QuickTime than anything in Windows. Windows had real
trouble trying to sync video and audio.  But QuickTime was actually
about 10% slower than OS/2's handling of multimedia data using the same
hardware as Windows.  It was the sophistication of QuickTime software
and not the hardware.

At the time I was the OS/2 multimedia data standards planner and IBM was
approached by Apple to incorporate QuickTime on OS/2 to help Apple
establish QuickTime as a standard.  Even though OS/2's native stuff was
more efficient than QuickTime I recommended to my management that we
accept Apple's offer since OS/2 had not established any standards
either.  But my management rejected Apple's offer.  QuickTime survived.
  OS/2 (with the better implementation) didn't. :-)

Chuck Norcutt