[OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)

Subject: [OM] Longevity of computing devices, was More Memory (OT)
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 06:11:20 +0100
No proof, Chuck, all aprocryphal, except that:

- Most people with Macs keep their machines around 5 years (gleaned from the
fora and from 2 Mac lists as well as discussions on LinkedIn).  I understand
the average for Winders machine is 2-3 years.

- The architecture differences between "IBM compatible" machines and Macs
seemed to be that there were fewer bottlenecks between CPU and storage devices.

- There might well be malware for the Mac some time in the future but they are
less vulnerable, as I understand it because Unix is easier to secure.  But the
main reason that there are so many viruses for Winders is because it was simple
to pass with the way Outlook Express worked.

We'll have to wait and see, though; I will keep a watch.  You might be the
first to know if I have been over-confident (or reckless) :-).

Chris