Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question

Subject: Re: [OM] Linux/PhotoShop question
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 02:36:07 +0200
Le lundi 20 septembre 2010 01:56:53, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :

> I do believe that security in XP and later versions is significantly
> better than earlier versions

Alas, no. Absolutely not. Would you believe it, the latest disclosed
infestation vector was through ... shortcut icons. What were they thinking,
it's not even something that should be executable in the first place !

> but the bad guys are also 10X as smart as
> they used to be.

Not either, they brute force every aspect of the system until something
breaks, and then they basically try to attach a payload in memory that is
executed at that moment instead of the broken program. While computing power
has massively improved, it has become somewhat easier to simulate an army of
monkeys pounding on keyboard and mice until the dead is done.

The great weakness of windows is the secretness of the code. An open code like
linux is read freely by hundred of qualified persons to spot errors, this is
not something Microsoft can buy internally despite all their might.

--
Manuel Viet