Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 12:51:52 -0500
Speaking of LCD displays...

I'm with Ctein on this one--the iPad display is remarkably accurate.
Accurate enough that I'm now using it as a second sanity look. Just
got to remember to disable the auto-dimming function...

Secondly, my wife just got a Thinkpad x100e laptop. On a side note,
I'll say that this is by far the finest laptop of any brand/model I've
come across. Simply, excellent. (we custom ordered it with a few
alterations). Anyway, the screen in it is small, but glorious. Doing a
compare of images between the iPad and the Thinkpad is bizaar. That
laptop display is so close to accurate you really don't have to worry
too much about calibration. The pixel borders are also so thin I can't
see them unless I put my eyeballs about three inches from the screen.

A few years back I bought a particular Gateway laptop because of the
display. As long as I'm right on-angle and I have my ambient lighting
conditions under control It's plenty accurate. But raise the ambient
or get the screen angle wrong and you better be leaning on the
histograms.

My question is how long until DSLRs will have color-calibrated LCDs?
The display on the Canon 7D is very nice, but we know that the shadow
and highlight transitions are bogus. Canon applied more bit-depth to
the mid-ranges to give chimping under normal conditions a decent
fighting chance.

Also, related to that... I hope the E-5's touch screen will be halfway accurate.

AG