Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill

Subject: Re: [OM] Feeding the rumor mill
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 09:59:59 -0500
> At 30x40 the 5D only gives you 97 pixels/inch.  That's about the same as
> your monitor showing a 1:1 image.  I'm sure it looks good from several
> feet away and especially if well interplated... except for Moose who
> would spot the individual pixels from that distance.  :-)

Since a 30x40 is cropped on the long edge, we can compare apples to
apples on the short dimension. 5D has 2912 vertical pixels, the 410
has 2736. The uninterpolated resolution is then 97 pixels/inch vs 91
pixels/inch.

Significant? Not really in itself. You have to look at the per-pixel
sharpness factor. Both the 5D and 410 have excellent pixel sharpness.
Then you have to look at lenses. It is true that the optical
enlargement is less in the 5D image, but the lenses tend to be better
for FourThirds which offsets that. Noise? Not an issue at base ISO
which is used for landscape photography. Since we're talking landscape
photography, the 410 would actually have a slight advantage in
effective DoF before diffraction limits are reached.

Under ideal conditions the 410 and 5D images would be pretty much
interchangeable in a 30x40 print. You'll spot differences, but not in
resolution. Color and tonalities will be different because the
companies have different philosophies in Bayer interpolation and the
sensors have different native response curves.

When conditions aren't so ideal, then the 5D will start to shine.

I have a 24x36 print hanging above my computer right now taken with
the E-1. If you look closely enough you can see that limits have been
reached. But it doesn't take away from the picture itself and people
never cease to issue compliments.

Which brings up my point. A strong photograph supercedes technical
limitations. If you need ultimate resolution to wow the viewer then
the photograph stinks.

A side note:  I've been learning how to eake that last ounce (gram) of
resolution out of the DMC-L1. In the end, I'm getting very close to
the same results as I do with the E-3 files. It's not the pixel-count,
it's the AA filter and interpolation method.

AG