Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence

Subject: Re: [OM] Planned Obsolescence
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 11:01:47 -0700
  On 8/30/2010 7:45 AM, Nicholas Herndon wrote:
> Moose, I don't really like the idea of having two scanners for one job, but
> since flatbeds are so cheap I suppose that's an option.

I didn't suggest it before, but when you said: "Am I unhappy? Not really, just
cheap, apparently. :)", I sorta had to. ;-)

I suppose I must be cheap too, as that's my solution. Then again, I never
considered the Nikon, although that was
probably at least in part about cost. I thought a flatbed was the best solution
for me.

1. Back when I bought a 135 scanner, there were several choices, and I spent a
LOT of time wandering the web, reading
reviews and looking at example scans. I concluded that the Canon was the best
overall performer, with both Nikon and
Minolta having fussy focusing, while not clearly outperforming the Canon
otherwise. The Canon's flawless performance for
me, occasional comments on focus here and the comments on and examples of flare
posted by C.H. and AG convince me I was
right for me.

2. I'm going to have a flatbed scanner on my desk for the foreseeable future
anyway, for scanning, copying and OCR of
printed media, so moving to one that also does film didn't impact my space. A
Nikon 9000 would.

3. I have a very few 4x5 negatives, which have now been scanned.

4. The 135 capability, while not quite up to the FS4000, is pretty good,
especially with VueScan, so it provides back-up
for the dedicated 135 scanner.

5. My own slides and negs go back almost 50 years, and those from my father
more like 65. A lot of the early stuff
simply doesn't have the resolution of later film. Some of it may even suffer
from less than great technique and lenses
(Like the lens , lens standard rigidity and film flatness on Dad's Kodak 120
folder, my first 50/1.8, etc.) Greater
scanning resolution just makes the grain clearer, without revealing more image
detail. The flatbed can pull out all that
is there while scanning larger numbers of frames at once.

I'm generally one who eschews multifunction electronic gadgets. If the printer
dies, the scanner still works, and so on,
and I like functional redundancy.

Moose